A healthy penis with smooth, supple skin is extraordinarily sensual, but when the skin becomes dry, flaky, scaly or sore, it can be a source of misery. In most cases, surface issues like dryness and itching can be easily managed, but in order to take appropriate steps to restore optimum penis health, it is necessary to first know the cause of a dry penis. The accompanying symptoms described below can help men pinpoint the underlying cause of dryness and discomfort.
1) Dry penis with red, scaly skin. Skin that is dry, red and scaly may be a sign of psoriasis, an autoimmune disorder that can affect the skin on all parts of the body, including, unfortunately, the penis. It occurs when the body over-produces skin cells, which form the red patches known as plaques. These can be extremely itchy, and as the skin cells die off, they fall away in silvery scales. There is no cure for psoriasis at present, but it is not contagious at all. Symptoms can often be managed with topical cortisone creams. Vitamins A and E have also proven to be effective treatments for psoriasis symptoms, but men should check with their doctors about the correct application of these.
2) Dry penis with flaky skin. Flaky skin on the penis can indicate several different issues, including balanitis (an inflammatory condition of the foreskin), eczema or an allergic reaction. Men with allergies, or those who are prone to eczema, should avoid known triggers. Keeping the skin clean and free of caked-on sweat and body fluids is the first step to managing the symptoms of balanitis, and a quality, fragrance-free moisturizer can help keep the dryness under control.
3) Dry, itchy penis with swelling and/or discharge. The most common causes of these symptoms are balanitis and thrush (yeast infection). Certain sexually transmitted infections may also be indicated. Balanitis is best treated by keeping the area clean and removing any smegma, as previously mentioned. Yeast infections are treated with over-the-counter antifungal medications. Most sexually transmitted infections require prescription medications for treatment.
4) Dry, itchy penis with a red, spreading rash. These symptoms are often signs of jock itch, a type of fungal infection that is related to ringworm and athlete’s foot. It produces a distinctive, raised rash with well-defined boundaries. The small bumps that form the rash may appear flaky or scaly, and considerable itching may occur. Antifungal creams used for treating yeast infection or ringworm are generally effective; ask a doctor which is best for the sensitive penile skin.
5) Dry, sore, red penis. Men who are a bit too enthusiastic during their solo sessions or who engage in a particularly vigorous session with a partner are apt to experience soreness as well as dry skin caused by friction. Taking a few days off from masturbation or partner sex is usually enough to clear up the problem; men can quicken this process by using a quality moisturizer for their distressed skin.
The problems described here represent just some of the conditions that can affect the penile skin; men who develop symptoms like these should bring them to the attention of a physician for an accurate diagnosis and targeted treatment.
Relieving and preventing dry, itchy penis skin
Medicated crèmes and ointments are often prescribed for combatting issues such as fungal infections. While these can address the underlying problem, they are not always useful when it comes to restoring moisture to parched, flaky skin. This is where a penis health crème (health professionals recommend Man1 Man Oil) comes in. Whether the source of the dryness is a fungal or bacterial infection, psoriasis or just plain old dehydration, a soothing crème with powerful emollients such as Shea butter and/or vitamin E can provide immediate relief as well as ongoing protection for smoother, more responsive penile skin.
Visit http://ift.tt/1aV5j9l for more information about treating common penis health problems, including soreness, redness and loss of penis sensation. John Dugan is a professional writer who specializes in men’s health issues and is an ongoing contributing writer to numerous online web sites.
Dry Penis Triage - Narrowing Down the Cause of that Itchy, Parched Skin